We are excited to present the first-ever drumming workshops at the Michael Johnston Music Studio beginning on Sunday, May 7, 2017.
Led by the fabulous percussionist Juan Carlos Medrano – a Humber Music graduate originally from Coloumbia – these workshops are open to ages 6 and up.
The workshop will cover:
Introduction of hand drumming techniques
- origins of hand drumming
- structure of the drums
- how many sounds can we get from one drum?
- example of the differences between each sound
- basic rhythm theory
- group exercises
How forms of Afro-descendant music works:
- understanding how African music emphasizes off beats
- call and response
- rhythms from West Africa, The Caribbean, Colombia and Venezuela
- learn how to sing in different languages such as Bantu, Spanish and Portuguese
- students will be able to dance and play at the same time
- students will have the opportunity to compose a group song